The MOC Alliance (MOC-A) (see massopen.cloud) is a partnership between higher education, government, and industry to create an open production cloud which will provide domain researchers with predictable low cost services while enabling innovation by a broad community of academic researchers and industry collaborators. To achieve these goals, the MOC-A supports and coordinates a set of interrelated projects, including production cloud services, a national testbed for cloud researchers, the $20M Red Hat Collaboratory at BU and a (planned) new national center on cloud and datacenter-scale computing.
The Managing Director for the MOC-A will play a critical high exposure role engaging the broad spectrum of MOC-A stakeholders from the private sector, public sector, academia, and BU central administration. They will be responsible for initiating, coordinating, facilitating and motivating all non-technical activities of the MOC-A in close collaboration with the MOC-A leadership. This includes the planning and execution of events including meetings and annual workshop, implementing professional communications on behalf of the project, delivery of non-technical contract deliverables and reporting, coordinating industry engagement and company/partner stewardship, and working with BU Industry Engagement (IE) and the BU Office of General Counsel (OGC) to initiate, revise and complete partner proposals and agreements.
- (30%) Strategic Planning
- In conjunction with the MOC-A, Red Hat Collaboratory, Hariri Directors, leadership committees, and external stakeholders, assist the MOC-A faculty Director with long-term strategic planning, budgeting, and interaction with BU leadership and external stakeholders.
- (30%) Contract, Partner, and Financial Reporting:
- Ensure compliance with collaborative contract deliverables, working with Hariri’s core administrative team on annual funding processes, confirming spending reports and updates, and responding to ad hoc reporting needs from within the University and from Alliance partners. Oversee and direct all reporting, both internal and external, on operations and research activities. Work in conjunction with the MOC-A, Collaboratory, and core Hariri administrative team to develop metrics for the internal review of center research and policy impacts. Collaborate with core Hariri administrative team in the preparation of the Center’s annual report and track progress towards strategic goals.
- (25%) Event, Marketing, and Program Strategy:
- Co-conceive and oversee execution of events that advance the strategic priorities of the MOC-A and Collaboratory including but not limited to research incubation awards and undergraduate engagement program. Partner with Hariri core team, MOC-A Administrative Coordinator, IE, and Marketing and Communications specialist(s) to advance programmatic marketing needs and fundraising objectives.
- (10%) Staff Supervision:
- Recruit, hire, train, and support the growth of MOC-A including Administrative Coordinator and additional staff. Manage performance evaluation(s), timekeeping, and other supervisory responsibilities as needed.
- (5%) Special Projects and Project Management:
- Manage as needed special projects and initiatives proposed by MOC-A leadership, external stakeholders, and BU leadership.
Preferred Experience & Skills
- Masters degree or equivalent; MBA preferred.
- Five or more years of relevant work experience across a broad spectrum of activities such as: organizing research centers, grant administration and budgeting, event planning and management, fundraising and communications, working with faculty and researchers, and engaging industry.
- Entrepreneurial and dynamic individual with a commitment to advancing scientific research.
- Demonstrated record of leadership with integrity. Consultative and accessible leadership style.
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills
- Excellent interpersonal and listening skills.
- Demonstrated managerial skills.
- Ability to gain credibility and trust with multiple layers of complex organizations from the University to corporations. Ability to interact in a professional and positive manner with all levels of staff.
- Dedicated, independent, and innovative team player.
Please apply on the Boston University Human Resources website here.